The vertical gastric sleeve diet
A Vertical gastric sleeve in Tijuana is a Bariatric surgery in Tijuana where 80% of the stomach is separated and removed. The rest of the stomach is given the shape of a tube that resembles a “sleeve”. With this procedure, the stomach becomes very restricted, which of course drastically limits the patient’s food intake.
Having Bariatric surgery in Tijuana is a life-changing event that requires some care before and after the surgery in terms of food, such as the frequency of food intake, the amount of food and even the way of chewing.
At Blue Medical Tower we offer you some tips to start and maintain a successful diet of Vertical gastric sleeve in Tijuana in the long term.
Before the operation
Preoperative weight loss has been reported to reduce postoperative complications so we recommend starting your diet at least 3 weeks before your Vertical gastric sleeve in Tijuana.
Three weeks before your surgery
– Reduce your intake to 800 to 1,200 calories per day, approximately. It is best to ask your doctor the exact amount for your case.
– Increase protein intake to 60 grams per day. A tip we give you is to eat it before any other food.
– Avoid pasta, bread, rice and cereals.
– Eliminate all sugars
– Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated
– Chew as much as possible every time you eat.
– Eat small portions at each meal
– Limit yourself to 3 meals a day
– Take vitamins. For this, ask your surgeon which ones you need.
Two days before surgery
You will need to switch to a clear liquid diet. This means to stop drinking coffee, juices and soft drinks. It is best to drink water as much as possible, although ice pops and sugar-free gelatin can be your best allies.
Day before surgery
You should start fasting at midnight on the day of your surgery. During this fast you will not be able to drink liquids, not even drinking water, and you will not be able to eat any food. This is the most important thing, since your surgeon needs your stomach and digestive system to be completely empty in order to be able to perform the Vertical gastric sleeve in Tijuana.
After the operation
After the Bariatric surgery in Tijuana you will have to continue the clear liquid diet until one week after the surgery, besides drinking enough, it is recommended to drink 2 and a half liters of water a day, but be patient, it may be difficult at the beginning.
Two weeks after surgery
You will be able to incorporate liquid foods to your diet such as: protein shakes, dairy, fat-free Greek yogurt, soups, very liquid oatmeal and puddings. In addition, you will have to eat in small portions of half a cup in small gulps.
Three weeks after surgery
You will be able to eat soft foods such as: scrambled eggs, cooked vegetables, ground meat, fish, tuna, hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt and pates. From this moment on you will have to:
– Consume between 60 and 80 grams of protein per day.
– Drink water 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after each meal.
– Eat 3 to 5 meals a day during this period. A tip we give you is to measure the portions of food in half a cup or 6 tablespoons.
– Eat slowly. Consume your portion of food in 20 to 30 minutes.
Fourth week after surgery
– Your meals may now include rice, lentils, cooked and soft fruits and vegetables, eggs, ground beef, chicken and fish.
– Foods low in fat and carbohydrates
– Use olive or coconut oil for cooking.
– Avoid fatty, spicy and sugary foods.
Finally, from the fifth week onwards, you will be able to gradually incorporate solid foods into your diet to slowly move towards what will be your new long-term lifestyle after your Vertical gastric sleeve in Tijuana.
Post a comment